Monday, October 23, 2006

Love Theory No. 9

How do you know if he is the person you are supposed to spend the rest of your life with? I was asked this question last night. My friend just went to a wedding and this was a question she wanted to ask me specifically, since at one point I was with the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life and now will not be. So how do you know? Here is my brief answer:

You follow your heart. My theory is that there is more than one person on this earth for you. This person should be your friend first and foremost. And lastly, love is all about timing. This is just my theory. We are compatible to love many of the people we cross paths with. Do both hearts want to unite at the same time?

Due to some recent experiences in my life, I'd like to add to this theory that it's not just about timing when you meet, but timing for the rest of your life. You both have to want it, make changes, and compromise not just at the start but all the way through till the end. Love grows, people change, and life happens. For love to last, it's all about timing. Will both hearts unite at the same time, and continue to grow and change together for the rest of time? Because even after nine years, there is no guarantee that the timing will be right (my case in point). How do you know if it will last? You don't! That's the risk in love. To me it's worth it. And I will risk it again.

That last line reminded me of a song: There's always a song that applies, right?
If I'd've known the way that this would end
If I'd've read the last page first
If I'd've had the strength to walk away
If I'd've known how this would hurt
(Chorus:)
I would've loved you anyway
I'd do it all the same
Not a second I would change
Not a touch that I would trade
Had I known my heart would break
I'd've loved you anyway
~Trisha Yearwood

Before I go, let me leave you with a few quotes about love:
I'll leave my heart wide open. I will love and have no fear. ~ Brad Paisely

'Tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all. ~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly. ~Sam Keen

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin