Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sci-Fi

I just finished reading a book yesterday, The Host, by Stephanie Meyer. It's a science fiction novel about aliens. Definitely not something I would pick out myself, but since it was given/recommended to me by my cousin and since I thoroughly enjoyed this author's Twilight series, I thought I'd give it a shot. First of all, the only reason I gave the Twilight series a chance was to read for myself the hype about this so-called perfect man (that as we all know does not exist in real life) "Edward Cullen". Yes, I was hooked immediately (like the rest of them) and read all four books in less than two weeks. So yes, I gave this science fiction author another chance and I'm glad I did cause I loved it! Which now leads me to believe I've only been faking my dislike for sci-fi all this time.

If someone asked me 'are you a sci-fi fan' or 'do you like sci-fi', my answer would be no - before last night that is. I must have been in denial all these years. Could it be the association of science-fiction and Trekkies, possibly? I never watched Star Trek and refuse to till this day, (maybe it's a subconscious fear of liking it and not wanting to be a Trekkie). One thing is for sure, I can't deny my love for science fiction any longer.

I love science fiction movies: Star Wars, Superman, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Cocoon, Independence Day, Mad Max, Weird Science, The Matrix, The Fifth Element, and now I realize the list can definitely go on. I also love science fiction television shows: Smallville, The Vampire Diaries, Highlander, Charmed, Wonder Woman, "V", Mork & Mindy, and this list can go on as well. And now apparently I love science fiction books. The point is that as much as I don't want to admit it, I am a science fiction fan, I truly am. You can add this to my long list of "dork" traits.

Hi, my name is Nancy and I'm a Sci-Fi fan!
(just don't call me a Trekkie or I'll have to hurt you)

4 comments:

Southpaw said...

I'm a big sci fi fan. Glad you made it over.

Sara Louise said...

Since you're on a sci-fi kick, have you ever read The Outlander Series by Diane Gabaldon? They're
Sci-Fi (fantasy) and Romance and they're brilliant. The perfect man is James Fraser, he is a MAN, and oh my, how you'll swoon!

sol said...

Thanks Holly! :)

Sara Louise, I'll definitely check it out. I'm reading "World Without End" by Ken Follet now....it's more of a historical fiction and is over 1000 pages long....geeesh (this one might take me a while), wish me luck!

septembermom said...

My imagination can get so crazy sometimes. I think that's why I'm afraid to dive into the science fiction genre. I do like Star Wars and Star Trek. Maybe I should give this a chance. Glad that you enjoyed it.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin